It seems like everything these days is gluten free for people that are gluten sensitive to people with Celiac Disease which is quite a serious medical condition that affects approximately 1 in 70 Australians. For those people that have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease it is important they adhere to a strict diet, as even the smallest amount of gluten can wreak havoc on their body, in particular, their digestive system.
Thankfully, having to avoid gluten-containing foods these days can be quite easy with many fantastic free of gluten variations on offer. For example, many supermarkets and health food stores now stock products such as quinoa, buckwheat and brown rice pasta, all excellent alternatives for the wheat (gluten) variety. If you are new to discovering substitutes, rest assured that you can still enjoy a wide variety of nutritious, healthy and delicious options while maintaining a well-balanced diet.
Most foods that are naturally gluten free and generally the best for us. For example, fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans, and alternative ancient grains such as quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum and corn are all gluten free, while also being nutrient dense and providing many health benefits.
Avoiding foods that contain gluten and replacing them with natural nutrient dense whole foods will allow your body to recover. You will also find yourself reaping many other rewards a healthy balanced diet has to offer.
If you suffer Celiac Disease, or would like to learn more about a gluten free diet, make an appointment today to talk to one of our qualified Holistic Nutritionists and Naturopaths. They have extensive experience with gluten free diets and would love to help you claim back your health.
Gluten Free Pasta with Ricotta-Walnut Sauce
- 225 grams Quinoa spaghetti
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt plain (natural)
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- ¾ Cup Walnuts roasted and chopped
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ¼ Cup Parsley chopped
- ½ Cup Baby spinach leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp Basil chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil a large pot of water; cook pasta according to packet directions until al dente.
- While the quinoa pasta is cooking, add the ricotta, yogurt, olive oil, garlic ¼ Cup of the walnuts and parmesan cheese to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients including the remaining walnuts.
- When the pasta is done, drain well and place in to a large serving bowl.
- Add in the sauce, then toss pasta to coat.
- Mix through all other ingredients, including the remaining walnuts, season to taste.
- Garnish with some fresh spinach and parsley leaves with a little sprinkle of parmesan on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!