Are you one of the many people that suffers Constipation? Perhaps you’re not going as often as you should, or you may feel crampy, bloated and just generally uncomfortable? Constipation is something you shouldn’t feel embarrassed about, at the same time though you should also not accept it as the “Norm”. While it is a very common condition, it can be easily treated (most of the time) with some simple dietary changes.
Other than ensuring you are drinking plenty of water during the day, the next best thing is to make sure you are eating foods rich in fibre. When it comes to most digestive issues including Constipation, Fibre will be your best friend. Foods that are rich in fibre include, whole grains such as brown rice and oats, fruits, vegetables and pulses such as beans and legumes.
These Lentil and Rice Rissoles are not only high in fibre, they are super delicious and a great base to a variety of meals. Serve them with you favourite vegetable side dish or in a wholegrain burger bun with salads of choice. However you choose to enjoy them, these vegan friendly rissoles as sure to help you in your quest to keep you regular.
Lentil and Rice Rissoles
- 3/4 cup Brown Lentils (or other variety that will hold shape when cooked)
- 3/4 Cup Long grain brown rice
- 2 Lg Potato peeled
- 1/2 Cup Spinach leaves finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Rolled oats
- 1/2 Cup Oat bran
- 1/3 Cup Almond meal
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Spring onion finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook both the lentils and the rice (separately), according to packet directions until both are soft. Once cooked, drain and set aside to cool.
- Peel the potato and cook until soft and starchy. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle grate the cooked potato and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients including the cooked lentils and rice and mix well to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.*
- Chill in the refrigerator 15-30 min. Form into patties and cook in a well-oiled fry pan over medium heat. Cook on both sides until golden and heated through to the centre.
- Serve with your favourite side salad or steamed vegetables and condiments of choice.