How would you assess a patient with Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease?
The absolute majority of patients with hyperthyroidism actually have an autoimmune condition known as Graves’ Disease. Essentially 2 systems are affected by the condition – thyroid function and immune response – as the immune system develops antibodies which attack the thyroid gland causing it to become overactive.
Usually, this condition will be picked up early on and diagnosed by a GP or a specialist such as an endocrinologist or immunologist.
Presenting symptoms may include:
- Weight loss, loss of appetite
- Heat intolerance, excessive sweating
- Frequent bowel motions
- Insomnia, nervous energy such as anxiety and palpitations
- Goiter (enlargement and swelling of the thyroid gland located in the neck region)
Blood testing can be arranged if the patient is undiagnosed but suspected as having Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease.
How can Naturopathy help a patient suffering from Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease?
Naturopathy can help to decrease the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease by:
- Decreasing the amount of thyroid hormone flooding the tissues of the body which causes symptoms
- Reducing the symptoms by supporting the organ systems most affected, often being the cardiovascular and nervous system
Naturopathy can help to balance thyroid function and rebuild the body where weaknesses have been created by the overactivity in the body caused by hyperthyroidism.
What can a Naturopath do for a patient suffering from Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease?
Our qualified practitioners work to balance thyroid function and support organs also affected by the condition by:
- Reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the thyroid gland and restoring the integrity of the thyroid tissue
- Replete nutrients which have become depleted due to the increased demands placed on the body by the condition
- Manage areas of concern using a range of nutritional medicine and herbal medicines which are demonstrated to support the hyperthyroid patient
- Address secondary conditions where issues have been identified e.g. heavy metals, digestive issues
Treatment is always tailored to ensure the combination of supplements addresses the specifics of the case.
In its extreme, Grave’s Disease left untreated can be life threatening, therefore, it is vital that the patient feels they can work with both their Doctor and Naturopath side by side.
Aside from prescribing supportive treatments which are safe to take alongside medications, where Naturopaths can also assist includes:
- Concurrent and integrative support alongside conventional treatment for Hyperthyroidism and Grave’s Disease when a patient is already on medication
- Assistance before, during and after medical interventions aimed to treat and cure the condition
- Ensuring that you are receiving thorough treatment, for example checking to see how often you are being tested by your Doctor and that additional testing beyond the routine tests has been considered
- Support and guide decisions about surgical options
- Post operative support if a thyroidectomy (removal of the thyroid, usually as a last resort) is performed
- Treating the autoimmune condition as often conventional treatment is focused on the thyroid only