A Healthy Vegan Dessert To Nourish Body and Soul.
While the days and evenings are still cool, it is a great excuse to indulge in a winter warming treat that will nourish both body and soul. This Healthy vegan-friendly rhubarb and strawberry crumble are not only totally delicious, but it’s also loaded with antioxidants, providing many health benefits.
If you’re looking at boosting your health, then you will want to ensure you include plenty of foods that are high in antioxidants such as vegetables, fruits and whole-grains. Consuming a diet rich in antioxidants will help protect your body from free radical damage, support good heart health and lower the risk of other disease and infections.
What are antioxidants and what do they do?
Antioxidants are substances that can neutralise free radicals in your body. They can stop them from damaging your health. The best-known ones are vitamins A, C and E, and minerals such as copper, zinc and selenium, which can all act as antioxidants. Your body also produces its own antioxidants. Antioxidants became prominent 20 years ago because research suggested they would be able to prevent heart disease and many other chronic conditions. This research led many people to start taking antioxidant supplements. If you would like more advice and information about you can take control of your health through the foods you eat, contact us today to make an appointment with one of our qualified Holistic Nutritionists
Vegan Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble
- 600 grams Rhubarb trimmed and cut in to ½ inch slices
- 1 Cup Strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Maple syrup to taste
- 1 ½ Tbsp Orange zest
- 1 ½ Tbsp Orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Cup Rolled oats
- 1/3 Cup Almond meal
- 1/3 Cup Shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil (solidified)+ more if needed
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, raisins, maple syrup, orange zest and orange juice in a medium bowl and gently toss together.
- Spoon the mixture in to either a lightly greases heatproof pan 13x8x2 inches or 8 lightly greased individual ramekins.
- Place in a cold oven, set the temperature to 180C and bake uncovered for approx. 15 – 20 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender (but still firand mixture is plump and juicy.
- Combine all the crumble ingredients (except the coconut oiin a medium/large bowl and mix together.
- Add the coconut oil, using your fingers message into the mixture until it all comes together but is slightly crumbly. Add extra coconut oil if needed.
- Remove the pan/ ramekins from oven and sprinkle over crumble mixture over the top of the baked rhubarb mixture. Return to the oven and continue to bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped coconut cream if you wish.