Have you been feeling fatigued, overwhelmed and in need of some Stress Relief? Did you know that your diet can go along way in supporting increased energy levels as well as producing hormones that can help balance stress and regulate your body?
When eating to nourish and nurture your body a balanced diet of quality proteins, healthy fats and plenty of vegetables are key. It is also important to avoid foods and drinks that contain refined sugars (including artificial sweeteners) as well as unhealthy fats. These foods, in particular, can wreak havoc on our bodies while also providing very little to no nutritional benefits. In fact, they can instead rob our bodies of important nutrients that help keep us feeling our best.
If you are feeling run down, or perhaps anxious and stressed, it might be worth trying an adrenal friendly diet. Vitamin C should be one of the first things you ensure you are getting plenty of, preferably through wholefood sources. Your adrenal glands require Vitamin C to be able to produce cortisol, a hormone that helps support the body and offers stress relief.
Vitamin C can be found in an array of fresh fruits and vegetables, although when trying to overcome fatigue and stress it is best to limit sugar (even from fruits) so vegetable sources will be best. Brussel sprouts and Broccoli are fantastic sources of Vitamin C and a great versatile vegetable that can be enjoyed on a regular basis.
Warm Brussel Sprouts Super Salad
- 750 grams Brussel sprouts
- 1 Cup Broccoli florets finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Parsley finely chopped
- 2 tsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 Lg Lemon zested and juiced
- 1/3 Cup Dried cranberries naturally sweetened
- 1/3 Cup Almonds toasted
- Trim the woody end from the Brussel sprouts and remove any damaged outer leaves and discard. Add the whole, trimmed sprouts into a large pot of boiling water, cover and cook for approximately 7 minutes or until just tender.
- While the Brussel sprouts are cooking, finely chop the raw broccoli and parsley and set aside.
- Whisk together the vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice and season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the sprouts and set aside to allow to cool enough to handle. Roughly chop the sprouts in to bite size pieces (or smaller), then transfer them to a serving bowl. Add the finely chopped broccoli and parsley, along with the cranberries and almonds.
- Pour over the lemon dressing and toss together. Serve immediately.