What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is the common name for a group of significantly debilitating medical conditions characterised by persistent fatigue and other specific symptoms that last for a minimum of six months in adults and three months in children or adolescents. The fatigue is not due to exertion, not significantly relieved by rest and is not caused by other medical conditions. Naturopath Chronic Fatigue Treatment Plan will be personalised ones the naturopath has performed their assessment.
The three main causes are:
What are the Chronic Fatigue Symptoms?
Naturopaths can detect Chronic Fatigue Symptoms quite easily. There are eight official chronic fatigue symptoms, plus the central chronic fatigue symptom that gives the condition its name:
- Loss of memory or concentration
- Sore throat
- Enlarged lymph nodes in your neck or armpits
- Unexplained muscle pain
- Pain that moves from one joint to another without swelling or redness
- Headache of a new type, pattern or severity
- Un-refreshing sleep
- Extreme exhaustion lasting more than twenty-four hours after physical or mental exercise
What Is a Naturopath’s Treatment for Chronic Fatigue?
In order for a treatment plan for Chronic Fatigue to be created, our Naturopaths will first assess the above Chronic Fatigue symptoms. Based on their findings they will provide you with a customised Chronic Fatigue treatment plan covering the following areas:
- Support you in stress reduction techniques and stress management
- Pain reduction for Chronic Fatigue
- Chronic Fatigue Detoxification Program – clean up your diet and lifestyle, take out any load that may be contributing
- Ongoing counselling and support – it is a debilitating disorder and can make daily life frustrating and restricting for sufferers
- Seek out an underlying cause that may be contributing to the Chronic Fatigue symptoms (hormones, viral infection, immune dysfunction)
How Often Would Someone Visit a Naturopath To See Improvements?
Initially, it is advisable to visit fortnightly to get on top of any underlying factors; thereafter you would need to check in as required.
Case Study for Chronic Fatigue
Client: Woman in her late 30’s who is a stay at home mum with two kids, one of school age and one at home.
- Head Aches
- Muscle Pain
Course Of Action:
Firstly, a full screening and health questionnaire were assessed to address any underlying nutritional deficiencies. The client was then placed on a gluten-free diet and supported with the use of supplements to increase her nutrient intake and absorption and to assist in her energy metabolism. Additionally, she was prescribed a liquid herbal preparation to assist with the presenting chronic fatigue symptoms.
- Reduced Headaches
- Increased Energy
A week later she presented to the clinic with the same fatigue but had noticed her headaches hadn’t been anywhere near as constant. She had decided to quit the gym as it was becoming stress not being able to do a full class and her recovery took days. She had managed the diet quite well but needed some more ideas. We recommended light exercises such as walking out to the letterbox and back and continued her on her treatment protocol of nutrients to assist the muscle pain and fatigue. After four weeks her overall energy was slightly improved, but she was still having days where she wasn’t able to do anything but lay around. I added another nutrient supplement to assist with joint pain and mental fatigue. After eight weeks she presented feeling the best she had in a long time. She was enthusiastic about the prospect of going back to the gym as she now had enough energy to follow her toddler around. Consultations are now every six weeks to monitor improvement.