When we hear ‘healthy living’ or ‘becoming fit’ it seems ‘eating green’ or ‘green foods’ automatically comes to mind. Ever thought why? Naturally, green foods are packed with numerous health benefits and are directly linked to our overall well-being. Whether you want to lose some extra kilos or want to add some good nutrients to your body, a good green leafy salad is your best way to help your body. Anti-oxidants, fibre, vitamins, minerals, anti-bodies, and so many other micro-nutrients can be found in green vegetables in excessive amounts. Regular consumption of green vegetables can help you to fight constipation, prevent diabetes, improve heart health, boost brain power, and of course, help you to lose weight.
Another attractive thing about green vegetables is that the options are endless. There are hundreds of choices like cabbage, broccoli, spinach, watercress, basil, collard green, bok choy, and so on. No matter in which corner of the world you are living in, you will find some green vegetables to refresh your health.
One of the popular and widely-found green vegetables is watercress. It is such a nutrient-packed and versatile vegetable. You can consume this as a vegetable and herb at the same time. Today we will know a great salad recipe using watercress, tomato, basil, and mozzarella. Tempting, right? Actually, the salad is a fusion of two recipes. First is the Caprese salad, where we tomato, Oz Vegan mozzarella cheese, cherry tomato, and some green leafy vegetables. But as a dressing, we use some vinaigrette, preferably the balsamic vinegar and olive oil mix. But here in this recipe, we have used pesto salad dressing which is another tasty and healthy green food. Interesting right? So, let’s jump into the recipe.
“Have you seen our “Plant-based eating from around the world – the best of the greens” Wellness Blog? You can click to read it HERE
Watercress caprese salad with pesto dressing
- 1 cup fresh watercress roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomato
- 1 Oz vegan mozzarella cheese cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 5 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- First prepare the pesto dressing. In a food processor take basil leaves, 1 tablespoon pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Make a smooth paste. The dressing is ready.
- Now add watercress,tomato, vegan mozzarella, and the rest of the pine nuts in the salad bowl. Add the pesto dressing and toss nicely.
- The salad is ready to serve.