It’s back to school time with an Easy and Healthy School Lunch of Vegetarian Rice Paper Rolls.
Skip the boring sandwich and pack the kids something a little more exciting and super healthy! These Rice paper rolls are surprisingly easy to make and can take the stress out of packing lunchboxes first thing in the morning. For a quick and easy lunchbox prep, whip up a big batch of these Rice Paper Rolls that way they are ready to go.
The best thing about these rice paper rolls is they are really so versatile! Not a fan of chickpeas? That’s ok swap them out for another protein of choice. If the kids have favourite vegetables, use them as part of the filling. Work to your child’s palate, this will ensure a Healthy Back To School Lunch like this one becomes enjoyable and stress-free. Our biggest tip when it comes to encouraging little ones to eat well is to simplify it and not over complicate things.
Work with what you know they already like and introduce new flavours one at a time. Simply focus on including a serve of plant-based or lean protein for their growing little bodies and a serve or two of their favourite vegetables. Get them involved in the process too. You will be surprised how much kids love eating the foods they have helped make…. This recipe is the perfect place to start.
Easy Vegetable Rice Paper Rolls
- 2 Cup Carrots peeled and julienned
- 2 Cup Bean sprouts
- 1 Cup Cucumber julienned
- 1 Cup Red capsicum seeded and julienned
- 1 Cup Snow peas cut in thin strips
- 2 Cup Canned chickpeas rinsed, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Mint chopped
- 1/4 Cup Coriander chopped
- 2 Tbsp Tamari
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- 18 6" Rice paper rolls
- Add the chopped chickpeas to a mixing bowl and combine with the mint, coriander, tamari, lemon juice and sesame oil. Stir well.
- Place the rice-paper sheets, 1 at a time in a bowl of hot water for 20 - 30 seconds.
- Remove from the water and place on a plate. When the rice paper is soft, place approximately 2 tablespoons of the chickpea mixture, 2 tablespoons of the bean sprouts and approx. 1 tablespoon each of the carrots, cucumber, capsicum and snow peas down the centre of each wrapper.
- Fold one end of the wrapper up about 1 inch over filling; fold right and left sides in over folded end. Fold remaining end down, wrapping around roll.
- Set aside and continue to do the same process until all ingredients have been used.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container to be consumed within 2 days.