How to support your Thyroid Health naturally.
The Thyroid Gland can be at times somewhat underestimated, however it is one of the most important endocrine glands in the body. The Thyroid Gland produces hormones that regulate and supports a wide variety of functions (including almost all of your body’s metabolic processes) and will affect most aspects of your life.
Thyroid Disorders can come in many shapes and forms, such as a simply enlarged gland that may present limited risks to more severe life-threatening cases such as cancer. The most common Thyroid Disorders however generally involve abnormal production of Thyroid Hormones, either producing too much or not enough, or in other terms an overactive (Hyperthyroidism) or underactive (Hypothyroidism) thyroid.
Graves’ Disease, an Autoimmune Disorder is in fact the number 1 cause of Hyperthyroidism, (what’s known as an overactive thyroid gland) and is considered a chronic illness. As with Graves’ Disease, Hashimoto’s Disease is also an Autoimmune Disorder and is the number cause of Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).
While those suffering Thyroid Disorders such as Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s Disease may need to adopt specialised treatment from an endocrinologist, or hormone specialist, there are also other natural treatments you can consider to help support the health of your Thyroid. Our qualified Holistic Health Naturopaths and Nutritionists are able to provide a Natural Treatment plan to support your specific needs.
To help support your Thyroid health naturally ensure to manage and reduce your stress levels, high amounts of stress can worsen the symptoms of thyroid disorders. Eat an anti-inflammatory and nutrient-rich diet, this can be the best way to improve immune function and manage autoimmune symptoms. Avoid where possible foods that can aggravate autoimmune disorders such as gluten, additives, preservatives, added and artificial sugars and conventional dairy products. Adapt a light exercise regime, exercise is known to reduce stress and inflammation levels, just make sure you don’t overdo it. Lastly aim to reduce exposure to any toxins and/or chemicals. Where possible look for natural, organic products for household, beauty and personal products and opt for filtered drinking water where you can.
If you have or experiencing symptoms of a Thyroid Disorder, give us a call today or head-on into one of our clinics at Chermside and Cannon Hill. Our Holistic Health professionals will have the right natural approach, tailored specifically to you.
Cauliflower with Ginger
- 1 sml/med Cauliflower head
- 4 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Ginger freshly minced
- 1 Green chili seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp Coriander chopped fresh
- Separate cauliflower into florets, wash well and drain.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil over high heat in a fry pan.
- When very hot, add the coriander seed and fry for 10 seconds. Add in the ginger, chilies and stir for a couple of seconds. Immediately add turmeric and salt, following with straight away with the cauliflower.
- Stir rapidly to prevent burning and to distribute the spices.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot water, reduce the heat to medium - low, cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Increase the heat to medium, uncover and stir fry to evaporate remaining moisture and to lightly brown the cauliflower, 5 to 10 minutes stirring carefully.
- If vegetable look a little dry, stir in the rest of the oil. Add lemon juice and the coriander leaves and toss through.
- Serve immediately as a side dish.