It is very important to consume raw vegetables and fruits. The consumed nutrients and enzymes remain intact when you eat them in their natural form. And what could be a better way to eat natural produce than a colourful spring salad.
We have used different vegetables and fruits in the recipe including roasted beets, avocado, basil, and baby spinach. We have roasted the beets to enhance the sweetness of this root vegetable. Beets have plenty amounts of crucial vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds with different medicinal benefits. And the best part is that these highly valuable nutrients come with very few calories. It helps to lower your blood pressure which is one of the root causes of heart attack, stroke, and other heart diseases. Regular consumption of beets can improve the efficiency of mitochondria, which is responsible for creating energy in your blood cells. It also helps to fight inflammation by improving your digestive system.
Now let’s talk about the other star of the salad, avocado. Avocados are packed with vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, potassium, magnesium, folate, riboflavin, niacin, omega-3 fatty acids, beta carotene, and lutein. That’s why avocado is an ideal food for all kinds and ages of people, especially for pregnant women. It also contains a high amount of good fats which maintain the fat requirement of your body without harming you. It is healthy for your heart, brain, and eyes.
Last but not the least, we cannot forget to talk about the greens in the salad, basil and baby spinach. These two greens have a lovely amount of phytonutrients which means they have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These nutrients help our body to balance the nervous system, boost our immunity, prevent dangerous health issues, and delay aging.
This salad recipe is extremely easy to make. We hope you enjoy
Spring Salad with roasted beets & pickled onion
- 6 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- Sea salt as needed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 avocado
- 6 beets
- 2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Add balsamic vinegar and red onion slices into a small bowl. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200C. Place the beetroots on a roasting tray. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a little bit of sea salt. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Allow the beets to cool completely. Peel off the skin and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Place the beets into the serving bowl. Take out the pickled onion from the vinegar and add to the serving bowl.
- Mix extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard with the remaining balsamic vinegar.Mix nicely with the help of a fork. The spring salad dressing is ready.
- Now add chopped avocado, baby spinach, and basil into the serving bowl. Drizzle the salad dressing and toss lightly.