There are many benefits in adopting a plant-based diet such as reducing your risk to many chronic health conditions such as Heart Disease and some Cancers along with general Weight Control and Cognitive decline. It is also well publicised that consuming less animal products and more plant-based foods has a positive effect on the environment.
Plant-based diets have drawn a lot of attention of late, with many people adopting this way of eating. It is however important to understand that with reducing or totally avoiding certain animal products (such as meat, eggs and dairy) you will need to ensure you are replacing various nutrients with a suitable plant-based alternative.
Iron is one mineral in particular that you may want to pay particular attention to when going “meat-free”. A diet lacking in iron may leave you feeling tired and sluggish, you may also experience dizziness and headaches. With iron commonly found in red meat, it is important you ensure you are getting an adequate intake of iron through plant based choices.
Plant-based foods that are loaded with iron include, legumes (soy/lentils/beans/peas), nuts and seeds, vegetables (in particularly dark leafy greens) and whole-grains (in particular amaranth, spelt, oats and quinoa).
Iron is a mineral that is essential for your overall health. Ensuring you incorporate a wide variety of iron rich plant-based foods in your daily diet go a long way in supporting your overall health and well-being. For an iron rich, plant-based meal, give our vegan friendly pasta bake recipe listed below a try. Of course you are welcome to work with us to ensure your Health is everything you want it to be.
Vegan Friendly Pasta Bake
- 250 grams Fettuccine gluten free variety (such as rice or quinoa)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Lg Onion peeled and diced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp Chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp Parsley freshly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 400 grams Canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 Lg Carrot peeled and finely diced
- 1 Cup Vegetable stock
- Pepper to tatse
- 1 Cup Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 Cup Black olives sliced
- 2 Cup Silver beet leaves shredded
- 1/2 Cup Vegan friendly “cheese” finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions until al dente, drain and set aside.
- In a large fry pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion garlic, chilli flakes, parsely and paprika. Cook, stirring frequently until onions are soft approximately 8 minutes.
- Add the drained chickpeas, carrots and vegetable stock then season with pepper. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the silver beet, cherry tomatoes and olives and mix through.
- Add the cooked pasta to a casserole dish, add the chickpea-vegetable mixture and toss until well mixed.
- Sprinkle over the grated “cheese” and cover with foil. Bake in oven for 15 minutes then remove the foil. Return to oven and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.