Reducing your Body’s Toxin Burden is a significant way of improving Hormone Health and the potential for Allergic Reactions and Respiratory problems like Asthma. A product overhaul benefits are also shared in a household setting where members use the same products. While there is no such thing as total avoidance in modern-day society, minimising the amounts and types of exposure is worthwhile wherever possible.
Personal care products, Cosmetics, Toiletries and Household Cleaning products can all contain an unnecessary Chemical Load, many known as Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs), which are best to avoid to improve Endocrine Health including Thyroid and Fertility. EDCs in these products include Bisphenol-A (BPA), Phthalates, Triclosan, Polybrominated Ethers, and Parabens. (1) Phthalates, Polybrominated Ethers and BPA appear to be the most frequently discussed chemical groups in literature reviews,(2) however, the ingredients used in cosmetics numbers more than 6000. (3)
Reducing your Body’s Toxin Burden
Personal Care Products, Cosmetics and Toiletries
Things to change over include:
- Hand Soap, Body Soap and Body Wash
- Deodorant and Perfumes
- Skin Care products including Face Wash and Moisturiser
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Sunscreen (look for active ingredients Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide)
Some tips for Reducing your Body’s Toxin Burden
- Rather than needing to memorise what to avoid, get to know the good ingredients to look for. When in doubt, ask someone in the know
- Also get familiar with the main ingredients to avoid like Fragrance, Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates.
- Discuss allergy type symptoms with one of our Naturopaths and consider whether mild symptoms you are experiencing may directly result from any products you use regularly. Cosmetic Allergy symptoms tend to be mild except those caused by Hair Dye. (3) There are many potential allergenic ingredients in cosmetics including Fragrances, Preservatives, Antioxidants, Emollients, Surfactants, UV Absorbers, Pigments or Resins used in Nail Cosmetics(3)
- If you have sensitive skin, keep in mind that you can still react to natural products, see if you can get samples or individualised advice from Beauticians or Health Food Stores.
Spotlight on Parabens
Parabens are Preservatives used for their antimicrobial properties in Cosmetics and Humans, Parabens have been detected in Urine, Serum, Adipose Tissue, Breast Milk, Amniotic Fluid and Placental Tissue. (4) They have also been found in Human Breast Cancer Tissues, and several studies have been published claiming a link between Parabens and Breast Cancer. (4) If you feel a little overwhelmed by the concept of needing to change over products and unsure about where to start, why not start with Parabens, with good reason.
HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS
Things to change over include:
- dishwashing detergent
- laundry detergent
- cleaning products
- Limit the number of products used at any one time to avoid creating a ‘cocktail’ of chemicals. Most are highly volatile and readily evaporate during cleaning, and many of the active ingredients in these products are established respiratory irritants or sensitisers(5)
- Consider wearing a mask when cleaning
- Simply using a damp cloth to wipe down surfaces can reduce dust loading and therefore reduce exposures to contaminants residing in the dust(6)
- Plain soap and water and wet microfibre cloths are sufficient for everyday clean-up tasks, and solutions of soap or vinegar in water are simple and effective
- Watch for symptoms you may experience when using cleaning products. A study of domestic cleaners reported frequent use of cleaning sprays was associated with a higher asthma incidence. (5) They also reported nausea and dizziness in general and more specific symptoms, during and after a day of cleaning. These included body ache, allergy, nasal congestion, coughing, nausea and trouble breathing(5)
- Talk to us about Naturopathic support for improving capacity to detoxify your body from accumulated chemicals, especially if you have occupational exposure.
Protect your Thyroid and Fertility and overall Health
There is an association between exposure to EDCs and male and female reproductive disorders in human studies, such as infertility, endometriosis, breast cancer, testicular cancer, poor sperm quality, and function. (7) EDCs may also harm promoting Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, and Diabetes(8), which can impact Fertility and are often related to poor Thyroid Function.
Thyroid Health is quite vulnerable to Toxins due to the delicate nature of the gland. EDCs interfere – temporarily or permanently – with hormonal signalling pathways by binding to hormone receptors, altering production, metabolism, and hormones transfer. (9) This creates a perfect storm for dysfunction with a knock-on effect on our overall health.
Be a Natural Beauty in a Low-Tox Home
If you are looking to conceive, struggling with your weight or have a diagnosed reproductive or thyroid condition put a product overhaul on your to-do list – with the bonus of your actions being eco-friendly. With the extra advantage of protecting respiratory health, the change could really be a breath of fresh air!
Further ways we can help in Reducing your Body’s Toxin Burden
If you need further clarification by way of testing we offer
- ALCAT (Antigen Leukocyte Antibody Test) for 10 Environmental chemicals
- OATS (Organic Acids Test) Environmental Pollutant Panel
- BPA (Bisphenol A) Spot Urine
- CORE (Toxic Effects) testing for 45 chemicals including parabens, phthalates, polybrominated ethers, BPA and triclosan