Hormonal Imbalance and Naturopathy
Hormones are intimately connected to many aspects of health and well-being in both men and women. There is a multitude of factors that may influence the sensitive balance of hormones. Symptoms of a hormonal imbalance can vary from women to women, commonly seeing signs such as PMS, irregular or heavy periods, infertility, mood swings, weight gain and menopausal symptoms. Hormonal testing is available allowing us to formulate a specific and effective treatment protocol for the individual.
What are some of the Common Causes of Hormonal Imbalance?
- Higher than average levels of stress
- Poor food choices
- Inadequate sleep
- Taking synthetic hormones
- Sedentary lifestyle (lack of movement or exercise)
- Life stages – post-baby, perimenopause
- PCOS, Endometriosis, fibroids
What are some of the Symptoms?
- Anxiety, Irritability & Mood Swings
- Breast Changes
- Cycle Changes
- Fuzzy Thinking
- Headaches & Migraines
- Hot Flashes & Night Sweats
- Loss of Libido
- Trouble Sleeping & Fatigue
- Vaginal Dryness
- Weight Gain
- Amenorrhea – the medical term used to describe “absence of periods”
- Dysmenorrhea – pain during menstruation that interferes with daily activities
- Menorrhagia – heavy or prolonged menstrual periods
How can a Naturopath help?
- Balance hormones – assist the body to metabolise and detoxify excess oestrogens in the body. Make use of hormonal regulating herbs and nutrients.
- Manage Stress – look at incorporating relaxation techniques into your schedule
- Quality Sleep – you need quality sleep to balance your hormones
- Healthy Diet – whole food eating is the key. Avoid processed, high sugar, high-fat foods that contain artificial colours and flavours.
- Exercise – a good balance of cardio and weights. Being mindful to not over train.
- Avoid toxins – Toxins found in pesticides, plastics, household chemicals, and even furniture can contain hormone-disrupting chemicals that mimic hormones in the body and keep the body from producing real hormones.
A female in her mid 20’s came into the clinic with ongoing Candida, Amenorrhea (no period), stressed and finding it hard to keep weight on, with the long term goal of being healthy, happy, Candida free and pregnant with in the next 12-18 months. After completing the comprehensive in house testing and getting a baseline for her general health an individualised treatment plan was put in place.
COURSE OF ACTION:
Step 1 – DETOX
The Detox step of the treatment was to eradicate the underlying candida infection which was complex due to her low body weight. We needed to focus on maintaining her weight if not increasing it whilst cutting out and changing the diet quite significantly. She embraced the changes and was determined to get results.
Step 2 – STRESS MANAGEMENT
The impact stress was having on her symptoms was quite apparent, so we looked at stress management and supported with lifestyle changes and herbal support.
Step 3 – HORMONAL REGULATION
After doing a Saliva Hormone Test I also started working more seriously on her hormones by using a specific hormonal protocol. After 3 months, she started having a period. Management of the diet stayed a priority to help keep the Candida at bay, and stress management was also at the forefront of treatment.
Step 4 – MAINTENANCE
Her treatment continued to go well. Being mindful of having a quality whole food diet, getting some exercise , learning how to manage her stress and put boundaries in place, having a good night sleep and using nutritional and herbal medicine. She continued to check in on her general health with Screening Tools, Urinary Indican test and pH test.
Healthy, happy and vibrant she presented to the clinic for her appointed check up pregnant.