So we know we can help protect our insides with chemical-free whole foods, but what about things we are exposed to outside the body? So how do we effectively start Detoxing the outside of the Body? Household cleaning products and toiletries are big players when it comes to chemical contamination. Many people don’t realise that these products are absorbed through our skin and right into our bloodstream. Chemicals burden our detoxification organs and cause all sorts of nasty diseases. They are also hormone (or endocrine) disruptors and can affect your fertility, immune system and metabolism, to name a few.
It’s important to be mindful of what you’re exposed to around your house. What kind of products are in your shower, toiletries bag and your cleaning cupboard? You don’t need to complicate these things. You can make your own cleaning products, and there are lots of natural soaps, deodorants and other beauty products available on the market.
Things to change over include:
- dishwashing detergent
- laundry detergent
- cleaning products
- Limit the number of products used at any one time to avoid creating a ‘cocktail’ of chemicals. Most are highly volatile and readily evaporate during cleaning, and many of the active ingredients in these products are established respiratory irritants or sensitisers(5)
- Consider wearing a mask when cleaning
- Simply using a damp cloth to wipe down surfaces can reduce dust loading and therefore reduce exposures to contaminants residing in the dust(6)
- Plain soap and water and wet microfibre cloths are sufficient for everyday clean-up tasks, and solutions of soap or vinegar in water are simple and effective
- Watch for symptoms you may experience when using cleaning products. A study of domestic cleaners reported frequent use of cleaning sprays was associated with a higher asthma incidence. (5) They also reported nausea and dizziness in general and more specific symptoms, during and after a cleaning day. These included body ache, allergy, nasal congestion, coughing, nausea and trouble breathing(5)
- Talk to us about Naturopathic support for improving capacity to detoxify your body from accumulated chemicals, especially if you have occupational exposure.
We know that replacing things at home can be overwhelming and costly, so why not start by replacing one new product per week or as it runs out. Making your own cleaning products will save a nice chunk of change that you can invest in other health areas of your life. If you choose to buy, remember to always read the ingredients labels as the packaging, although very pretty, can sometimes be misleading.