Hello! My name is Amber Foley, consulting Naturopath at Brisbane Livewell Clinic in Wavell Heights. I am a qualified Naturopath who practices Naturopathic Medicine using both Medical Herbalism and Clinical Nutrition. As a Naturopath, I am constantly reminded how a simple conversation or consult can be a life-changer for people.
The way I see it, people respond so well to Naturopathy because Naturopaths treat our patients as individuals (not just a symptom or diagnosis!). We empower our patients to learn as much as they can about their own health to make their own health choices competently, and we work with patients to understand the root cause of their illness. And best of all, we use the healing powers of nature to soothe ailments and enrich health. In essence, we act as a health and wellbeing tour guide to support patients in their personal journey toward better and stronger wellbeing.
My naturopathic journey has lead me to have a million differing conversations discussing medicine, health and wellness with many of our country and the world’s leading health care minds. I have educated General Practitioners, lectured to Pharmacists and Osteopaths, and run workshops with every kind of healthcare practitioner imaginable. I have presented to international audiences, contributed to a range of health and wellness publications both inside and outside of Australia, and even spent 6 months practising naturopathy abroad in a health spa in Malaysia. I have lectured students of natural health and worked at some of Australia’s leading natural supplement brands – all the while consulting with patients and answering just about every question you could imagine on the topic of natural medicine!
I gained my naturopathic qualification at Southern Cross University as a member of their pioneering Bachelor of Naturopathy program. As a naturopathy student at Southern Cross, I spent equal time in anatomy and biochemistry labs in the university’s medicinal herb garden and student clinic. Outside of the classroom or clinic, you would find me in the supermarket and kitchen learning how to read food labels and make healthy meals, or in the university library researching new clinical studies and absorbing as much knowledge as I could from ancient and traditional texts. I learned that good naturopathic practice is about the time spent with patients – listening to their story, charting their symptoms, and assisting them in navigating their way through their personal health journey. This combination of the science of medicine and the art of clinical care explains a lot about why people benefit so much from a naturopathic consultation.
If you are interested in a naturopathic consultation, I am experienced in helping patients with a range of health concerns, including:
- Menopausal complaints including hot flushes, insomnia, fatigue, low mood and anxiety.
- Skin complaints including eczema, acne and psoriasis.
- Gut symptoms, including heartburn. Indigestion, gas, bloating, cramping, constipation and diarrhoea.
- Gut complaints including IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), IBD (inflammatory bowel disorders including Crohn’s disease and diverticulitis), GERD/GORD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), and food allergies and intolerances including coeliac disease.
- Female Reproductive complaints including infertility, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), heavy bleeding, irregular cycles and painful periods.
- Nervous system complaints related to stress and burnout, including insomnia, low energy, inability to cope and emotional symptoms including low mood and anxiety.
Yours in health,